Sojourn Of A Nigerian Architect in Canada #4 | CACB Certification Approved

Photo of a lady in a cave holding up a lamp

Gladly, after 6 full months of waiting, my application for certification with the Canadian Architectural Certification Board (CACB) was reviewed and approved in the first week of December. I guess it’s time to refocus my lenses as I can see some light at the end of the tunnel.

However, I did not receive full certification but provisional. Sad, right? Don’t fret, provisional certification just like full certification allows you to proceed immediately to the architectural internship. The major difference is that Provisional certification has a condition that requires you to further your studies while enrolled in the Intern Architect Programme (IAP).

Maybe, the CACB has realized that there are gaps in some foreign architecture curriculum that needs to be addressed with an extra course(s). So, I see it as an opportunity to gather more knowledge.

Similarities between Provisional and Full CACB certification.

Both certifications allow you to enroll immediately in the Intern Architect Program of any Provincial Architects Associations in Canada, which is statutorily required to pursue licensure. Thereafter, you commence your career professionally. Upon enrollment in the IAP with your association, you are permitted to use the appellation ‘Intern Architect’ after your name and even register with the Royal Architectural Institute of Canada (RAIC). Below is the list of the 11 Architects Associations in Canada.

As regards when to get a job as an intern architect, you could either seek employment first for intern architect positions before enrolling with the association or enroll first before seeking employment. Nevertheless, since the CACB condition specifically states that you can enroll as an intern architect with ONLY one of the 11 Architects Associations, It may be convenient to have both your internship office and architect’s association in the same province.

Differences between Provisional and Full CACB certification.

What makes Provisional certification different from full certification is that for provisional you are required to further your studies by taking a course(s) in any Canadian university accredited program in architecture or through the RAIC syllabus program. Gladly, I am to take just 1 course on ‘Architectural Practice Management’, Also, you are given a period of 18 months from the date of your certification to undertake it, failing to do so within the stipulated timeframe will mean withdrawal of your certification, termination of your internship and closure of your file. Sounds very strict, Right? I thought so.

What have I been up to?

Working! Working! Working! I have been working in other fields. Currently works as a team lead in a Produce company which has allowed me to gather adequate Canadian experience and possible references when required for better jobs. As you know, you need to earn to sustain yourself in Canada and pay for all the above-mentioned enrolment and registration fees. So, a job while you wait isn’t a bad idea.

What next?

Search for a job as an intern architect, undergo all necessary enrolments and registrations and commence my architectural internship. It usually takes between 2 – 3 years of internship to qualify to take the professional examinations.

I guess that’s it. I will keep updating my blog to keep you updated. You can also let me know what your experiences are if you are on the same journey or plan to take this route in the future.

I wish you all the best in your architectural pursuit. Feel free to leave your comments, share this article and subscribe for more blog posts. You could also reach me through LinkedIn, kindly search with my name there.